Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Pattern Play Project

I am about to embark on an interesting creative project with some of my teen students. We have been experimenting with Pattern Play 1 by Akiko and Forrest Kinney, a wonderful supplementary book for inspiring creativity and developing improvising skills.

Most of my teens own this book and have been enjoying the magic of learning various patterns and styles, allowing them to successfully improvise their own music.

This week we are going to put a visual twist on the process. My husband and I enjoyed the Canadian Thanksgiving weekend at a beautiful cottage in Nova Scotia, where I took advantage of the gorgeous fall colors to create a short video of peaceful images. My students will watch the video and improvise using the "Flow" pattern, which they practiced last week.

The video is saved on my iPad, so they can watch as they play at the digital piano. And to spice it up a bit, I will record their improvs using Garageband, the best one will officially be added to my video. I will post it next week so you can all see and hear how we did.

South Milford, Nova Scotia

Pattern Play 1 Pattern Play 1 (Inspiring Creativity at the Piano). By Akiko and Forrest Kinney. For Piano. Piano improvisation. Pattern Play. Book. 48 pages. Published by The Frederick Harris Music Company (FH.PT01)
Smp_stars50 (2) ...more info
 

4 comments:

  1. LOVE that Pattern Play book!! And what a great idea to use the video to inspire them. I do believe we stayed in a cottage at that very lake in South Milford a few years ago on our anniversary- beautiful spot! You captured the fall colours perfectly.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Leah, sounds like you stayed at Milford House too. We LOVED it! Can't wait to go back.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a beautiful photo!

    -Susan

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Susan. Can't wait to post the video and student improv.

    ReplyDelete

I enjoy reading your comments! Thanks for visiting.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...