Personally, I think it's brilliant and it seems to me that students all have the gear and the know-how to take advantage of this tool at home. But I thought I should do a little survey to get a better picture of what they can really do.
I have given all of my students a SoundCloud link to their duet or trio for practicing at home. Yes, it's time consuming to create that many mp3s, but I'll do anything for improved practicing. Seriously. I remembered to survey 21 students last week. Here are the results:
Do you have a computer at home?
- Yes - 100%
- No - 0%
Do have itunes on your computer or device?
- Yes - 90%
- No (or I don't know) - 10%
Do you buy music with itunes?
- Yes - 57%
- No (don't know how or I don't buy music) - 43%
Do you know how to download music?
- Yes - 81%
- No - 19%
How do you usually listen to your music?
- ipod, ipad, phone, laptop, computer - 71%
- radio, stereo, vinyl - 29%
If I sent you an mp3, could you listen to it and play along at your piano?
- Yes - 95%
- No - 5%
What music do you like to listen to?
- Taylor Swift, One Direction, Country, Adele, classic rock, video game soundtracks, Justin Bieber, Bruno Mars, no favorites
How often do you listen to music?
- All the time! - 48%
- A bit or not that much - 52%
Have you heard of SoundCloud?
- No - 95%
- Yes - 5%
Do you play music from CDs?
- No - 71%
- Yes - 29%
Do you use Facebook?
- No (not allowed or doesn't like it) - 67%
- Yes - 33%
Rate how much you used SoundCloud last week.
- Everyday and it was helpful - 62%
- Not much - 38% (all of those 8 students used it a lot on week 2 and you could tell)
I am happy to report that the quality of practicing was significantly better from those students who used their SoundCloud link at home. They came back with accurate notes and rhythm plus a good steady tempo. SoundCloud has rocked my studio! Very nice kiddos.